Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Passover passed over

What is it about funerals that draws the Baby Boomers out of the woodwork? Where they are concerned, they loves them a good funeral! And the more they can attend, the happier they are. I've noticed this particularly with lawyer Baby Boomers. They don't even care if the dead person's someone they know. They're showing up, business cards at the ready, and aiming to chase that ambulance (or hearse, as the case may be) as far as their slimy little feet will take them.





Gilligan comes in this morning all a-flutter trying to tell me something in that mumbling way of his, far too excited to enunciate properly. I had to ask him three times to repeat what he was trying to say. What sounded like, "Imgoongzoozimzdadsfunnerillevvennn" turned out to actually be, "I'm going to Jim's dad's funeral at 11."





Well, why didn't you say so?





I've been to two 'official' funerals in my life (I say 'official' because one was really more a wake, held in our high school at the death of a fellow student). Having made it to just over the age of 40, I'm happy to say that I'm not a funeral veteran by any stretch of the imagination, though giving the eulogy at one probably earned me more cred than I desire. With any luck, those two will be the only ones I have ever attended, however unlikely this may be. For the record, I plan on being more than fashionably late for my own funeral, and even then, for the record, I do not want a funeral. Instead, I expect everyone to drink, laugh and share their funny stories - all in copious degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment